In recognition of his contribution to scholarship, he was awarded the Order of Merit in From the mid-sixties he took especial interest in the relation of Greek literature to the Orient, and over several decades, culminating in his masterpiece The East Face of Helicon , defended his view that it was a variation on Near Eastern literature.
Studies in Greek Elegy and Iambus
He took up a position as tutorial fellow at University College, a position he filled from to In he became the second youngest person to be elected a Fellow of the British Academy , at the age of West died in in Oxford at the age of First of all, he is the author of the standard manuals of Textual Criticism , Greek Metre and Greek Music In case 'manual' suggests a second-hand compilation, it should be explicitly stated that all three books represent a deeply original viewpoint.
Secondly, in the editing and explication of Greek poetic texts, West has contributed exemplary editions of the fragments of Hesiod with R.
- Studies in Greek Elegy and Iambus (Untersuchungen zur Antiken Literatur und Geschichte).
- Studies in Greek Elegy and Iambus - Martin L. West - Google книги!
- Freely available;
- Democracy, Society and the Governance of Security!
- Database Systems: Design, Implementation, and Management.
Merkelbach, ; of the Greek Iambic and Elegiac poets ; 2 , ; of the Anacreontea ; 2 ; of Aeschylus ; and of the Iliad vol. I, His contribution to Iambus and Elegy was reinforced by invaluable adversaria in Studies in Greek Elegy and Iambus , and his papers on Greek lyric poetry would in themselves make a substantial volume. He celebrated the millennium with a new text of the fundamental poem of Western civilisation, Homer's Iliad.
- Account Options.
- Marketing Management In Australasia (European Journal of Marketing, Volume 37, Number 3 4, 2003).
- The Principles of Moral and Christian Philosophy, Vol. 1 (Natural Law and Enlightenment Classics).
- Who We Are:.
- Introduction to Imaging from Scattered Fields!
- Martin Litchfield West.
- Legacy Libraries.
- Resilience Practice: Building Capacity to Absorb Disturbance and Maintain Function.
- Studies in Greek elegy and iambus (eBook, ) [comppyrridaro.gq].
- Text Atlas of Practical Electrocardiography: A Basic Guide to ECG Interpretation.
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support: The Practical Approach, Fourth Edition?
- Op. 141.
- control and design of flexible link manipulator;
In addition, there are critical texts, with magisterial commentaries, of Hesiod's Theogony and Works and Days , and The Orphic Poems and The Hesiodic Catalogue of Women , which reconstruct with great acumen and ingenuity two literary genres familiar to the Greeks but lost to us except in fragments. West , ed. West , Martin L. West , Editor M.
West , M. West ed. West is currently considered a "single author. West is composed of 11 names. You can examine and separate out names.
Meaning of "elegy" in the English dictionary
Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms. Main page Picture gallery 1 Rating statistics If you like Greek Lyric Poetry copies, 1 review Homeric Hymns. Homeric Apocrypha.
Members: None. Add to favorites. Related tags.
Events on LibraryThing Local. No events listed.